OCD is a mental health disorder that is caused by repeated, unwanted thoughts or sensations (obsessions) or the urge to do something over and over again (compulsions). Some people can have both obsessions and compulsions.
Symptoms of OCD can interfere with all aspects of life; at work, school and in personal relationships.
Some common obsessions include:
- fear of germs or contamination
- unwanted forbidden/ taboo thoughts about sex, religion, or harm
- aggressive thoughts towards yourself and others
- having things in perfect order or symmetrical
Some common compulsions include:
- excessively cleaning and/or handwashing
- ordering things precisely in a particular way
- repeatedly checking on things, for example if the door is locked, or the oven is off.
- compulsive counting
How can our sessions help?
We begin by demystifying the neuroscience behind OCD and the brain; what causes OCD, and what is happening in the brain when we experience obsessions and/or compulsions. This starts to give you a sense of control over your thoughts and emotions. We then work through several solution focused exercises and techniques to support a shift in focus towards the strengths and resources you have to draw on in making positive change. Finally, we use clinical hypnosis to support you in lowering your general level of anxiety and developing a toolkit of self management strategies to practice greater control over your thoughts and emotions, and in turn your behaviours.